« AnteriorContinuar »
I unto you. Let not your is stayed on thee : because he trut
cth in thee. Heart be TROUBLED, neither
12. Lord, thou wilt ORDAIN ler it be AFRAID.
PEACE for us: for thou also haft 28. Ye have heard how I WROUGHT all our Works in us. said unto you, I go away, of our PEACE was upon him, and
Chap. liii. s. The Chastisement and come again unto you. If with his Stripes we are healed. ye loved me, ye would re- Zech. vi. 13. He shall be a Priet joice, becaute 'I said, I go fel of Peace shall be between them
upon his THRONE, and the Coun. unto the Father : For my both. Father is greater than' I. Als x. 36. The WORD which 29. And now I have told God sent unto the Children of it.
rael, preaching Peace by Jelsus you before it come to pass, Chrif, he is Lord of all. that when it is come to pass, Rom. v. 1. T'herefore being Jus. ye might believe.
TIFIED by Faith, we have peace 30. Hereafter I will not Chrift
with God, through our Lord Jej talk much with you: for the Tó. For if when we were EnePrince of this world cometh, mies, we were reconciled to God and hath nothing in me.
by the Death of his Son: much
more being, reconciled, we shall be 31. But that the World saved by his Life, may know that I love the II. And not only so, but we also Father; and as the Father Joy in God, through our Lord Jegave me Commandment, received the ATONEMENT
Sous Christ, by whoin we have now even fo I do. Arise, let us 2 Cor. V 18. All Things are of
God, who hach reconciled us to himselt by 7.fus Christ, and hah given to us the Ministry of Rs.
CONCILIATION ; 19. To wit, that God was in Chrift, reconciling the World unto himself, not IMPUTING their TRESPASSES unto them : and hath commii. ted into us the Word of RECONCILIATION.
Ephef. ii. 13. Buc now in Christ Jefres, ye who sometimes were afar off, are made Nigh by the Blood of Christ.
14. For he is our Peace, who hath made both one, and hath brokes down the middle Wall of Partition between us;
15. Having abolikked in his Flesh the ENMITY, even the Law of Commandments, for to make in himself of twain, one new Man, fo making Peace ;
16. And that he might reconcile both unto God in one Body by the CROSS, having Nain the Enmity thereby :
17. And came and preached PEACE to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh.
19. Now therefore ye are no more Strangers and Foreigners : bed fellow Citizens with the Saints, and of the HOUSHOLD of God.
Col. i. 20. And having made PEACE through the Blood of his Cross, by him to reconcile all Things unto himself, by him, I say, wbether they be Things in Eamth, or Things in Heaven
21. And you that were fometime alienated, and Enemies in your MIND by wicked WORKS, yet now hath he reconciled,
22. In the Body of his Flesh, to present you holy and unblamcable. and unreproveable in his Sight.
Phil. iv. 6. Be careful for nothing : but in every thing by PRAYER and SuppliCATION with THANKSGIVING, let your Requelts be made known unto God.
7. And the PEACE of God which passeth all Undertanding, shall keep your Hearts and Minds through Christ Jesus.
CH A P. XV.
1. Tbe Confolation and mutual Love between CHRIST
and bis Members, under the Parable of the Vine. 18. A Comfort in the Hatred and Perfecution of the World. 26. The Office of the Holy Ghost, and of the Apostles.
ken unto you.
er. 1.I AM the true Vine, faci: BY Night, on Bed
and my Father is the Husbandman.
my Soul loveth: I sougit him,
but I found him not. 2. Every Branch in me that 2. I will rise now, and go about bearech not Fruit, he tak- the City in che Streets, and in the eth away: and every
broad Ways I will seek him whom Branch
my Soul LOVETH : I sought him, that beareth Fruit, he
but I found him not. eth it, that it may bring forth
4. It was but a little that I passed
from them, but I found him whom more Fruit.
my Soul lovech : I held him, and 3. Now ye are clean thro' would not let him go. the Word which I have fpo
(6) 2. Cor. iii. s. Not that we are sufficient ot' our selves to think
any thing as of our felves: but our 4. Abide in me, and I in Sufficiency is of God. you.
As the Branch cannot Phil. iv. 13. I can do all Things bear. Fruit of itself, except through Christ which itrengthneih it abide in the Vine: no more Ephef. ii. 8. For by Grace are can ys, except ye abide in ye laved, through Faith; and me.
that not of your felves, it is the 5. I am the VINE, ye are
Gift of God:
9. Nor of Works, left any Man the BRANCHES : He that a- should boast
. bideth in me, and I in him, KINDNESs and Love of God our
Titus iii. 4. But after that the the same bringerh forth much SAVIOUR toward Man appeared, : Fruit : (b) for without me S. Not by Works of Righcoura ye can do nothing.
neis, which we have done, but ac6. If a Man
abide not in cording to his Mercy le tàved us 6. If a Man abide not in by the washing of Regeneration; me, he is caft forth as
a and renewing of the Holy Ghost. Branch, and is withered ; and Can. viii. 6. Set me as a Seal Men gather them, and caft upon chine Heart, as a Scal upon
thine Arm: for Love is STRONO them
them into the Fire,
as Death, JEALOUSY is cruel as the
Grave: che Coals thereof are Coals are burned.
of Fire, which hach a most veheye abide in me, and ment Flame. my Words abide in you, ye
i Cor. vi. 15. Know ye not that
your Bodies are the MEMBERS of shall ask what ye will, and
Chrift? Shall I then take the Memit shall be done unto you. bers of Christ, and make them the 8. Herein is my Father Members of an Harlot ? God for.
17. But he that is JOINED unto much. Fruit, so shall ye be the Lord, is one spirit. my Disciples.
Chap. xi. 3. But I would have 9. As the Father hath lov- you know, that the HEAD of eve.
ry Man is Christ. ed me, fo have I loved
Chap. xii. 12. For as the Body is continue ye in my Love. one, and hath many Meinders, and
all the Members of that one Body, 10. If ye keep my Com
shall abide is Christ.
being many, arc one Body : fo alla MANDMENTS ye in my LOVE:
: even as I have 13. For by one SPIRIT are we kept my Father's Command. all baptized into one Body. willments, and abide in his Love. ther we be bond or free, an have
ther we be Jews or Gentiles, whe11. These Things have I been all made to drink into one fpuken unto you, that my
SPIRIT. Joy might remain in you, Chrift, and Níembers in particular
27. Now ye are the Body of and that your Joy might be 2 Cor. xi. 2. For I am jealous over full.
you with godly Jealoudy: for I nart 12. This is my COMMAND- I may prelent you as a chaite Virgia
cipouted you to one Husband, that MENT, That ye love one to Christ. another, as I have loved you. Ephef. i. 22.
And hath put a 13. Greater * Love hath
Things under his Feet, and gare
him to be the Head over all Thing no Man, than this, that a to the Church, Man LAY DOWN his LIFE 23. Which is his Body, the Fut. for his Friends.
NESS of him that filleth all in a...
Chap. iv. 15. But speaking the 14. Ye are my Friends, if Truth in Love, may grow up in ye do whatsoever I command to him in all Things, which is the
HEAD, even Christ. you.
Chap. v. 2. And walk in Love, 15. Henceforth I call you as Christ also hath loved us, atá not SERVANTS, for the Šer- hath given himself for us, an Of vant knoweth not what his fering and a Sacrifice to God for a
sweet-smelling Savour. Lord doth : but I have cal
25. Christ LOVED the CHURCH, led you FRIENDS; for all and gave himfelt for it : things that I have heard of 26. That he might SANCTIFI my Father, I have made Water, by the Word,
and cleanse it, with the washing of known unto you.
27. That he might present it is 16. Ye
See pag. 94, 10 100. Of the Love of Gon, and of CHRIST, agaia John iii. 16.
16. Ye have not chosen himself a GLORIOUS CHURCII, not me, but I have chosen you, Thing, but that it should be holy and
having Spot or Wrinkle, or any such and ordained you, that you withorit Blemish. should go and bring forth 30. For we are Members of his Fruit, and that your Fruit Body, of his Flesh, and of his
B nes. should remain: that whatso
Col. i. 18. And he is the Head ever. ye Mall ask of the Fa- of the Body, the CHURCH : who ther in my Name, he may is the Beginning, the First-BORN
from the Dead; that in all Things give it you.
he might have the Preeminence. 17. These Things I com- 19. For it pleased the Father, that
that ye LOVE one in him should all FULNESS dwell. another.
Chap. ii. 19. And not holding the Head, from which all the Body
by Joints and Bands having Nourishment ministred, and knit together, increaseth with the Increase of God.
Heb. ii. u. For both he that SANCTIFLETU, and they who are SANCTIFIED, are all of one : for which cause he is not ashamed to call them BRETHREN,
12. Saying, I will declare thy Name unto my Brethren, in the midst of the Church will I fing Praise unto thee.
Chap. jii. 6. But Chriji as a Son over his own House : whose House are we, if we hold fast the Confidence, and the rejoicing of the Hope firm unto the End.
Rev. iii. 20. Behold, I stand at the Door, and knock : if any Man hear my Voice, and open the Door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
Ver. 18.IF* the World hate you, ye know that it hated
me before it hated you. 19. If ye were of the World, the World would love his own : but because ye are not of the World, but I have chosen you out of the World, therefore the World hateth you.
20. Remember the Word that I said unto you, The Servant is not greater than the Lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also PERSECUTE you: If they have kept my Saying, they will keep yours alfo.
21. But all these Things will they do unto you for my Name's fake, because they know not him that sent me. 22. If I had not come and spoken unto them, they had
* Note, Part of the xvth and xvith of John is quoted before in Pages 74, 75, 76. (where Christ foretels the great Persecutions that should be. fal his Disciples) which is here again inserted, that the Speeches of QUR Saviour may be kept intire. Sec also the References against Marthena
not had Sin : but now they have no Cloke for their sin,
23. He that hateth me, hateth my Father also. · 24. If I had not done among them the Works which none other Man did, they had not had Sin: but now have they both seen, and hated both me and my Fatber.
25. But this cometh to pass, that the Word might be fulfilled that is written in their Law, They HATED me without a Cause.
26. But when the * COMFORTER is come, whom ! will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of TRUTH, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall TisTIFY of me.
27. And ye also shall bear witness, because ye have been with me from the Beginning.
C H A P. XVI.
1. CHRIST comforteth bis Disciples against Tribulo
tion, by the Promise of the Holy Ghost, and by bis Resurrection and Afcenfion. 23. Asurerb their Pray'ers made in his Name to be acceptable to his Farber, 33. Peace in CHRIST, and in the World Afli&tion.
Ver.1.THESE , Things have I spoken unto you, that
2. They shall put you out of the Synagogues : yea, the Time cometh, that whosoever KILLETH
you, will think that he doth God service.
3. And these Things will they do unto you, because they have not known the Father, nor me.
4. But these Things have I told you, that when the Time shall come, ye may remember that I told you of them. And these Things I said not unto you at the Beginning, because I was with you.
5. But now I go my Way to him that SENT me, and none of you asketh me, whither goeft thou ?
6. But because I have said these Things unto you, Sor. row hath filled your Hearts.
See Als ii, Tbs Desiems of the HOLY GHOST, and the References thereto.