Abbildungen der Seite

Our loss in this brilliant affair, was one killed, and seven were very slightly wounded. · The total loss of the enemy could not have been less than one hundred and fifty killed and wounded.. ..

One British officer, major Muir, was wounded in the head, knocked down for dead in the ditch, lay there awhile, come to himself, and finally crawled off to his friends. For us it was well enough that he escaped at that time, inasmuch as he was never sane afterwards. · He got the command of two hundred troops, and was passing down lake Ontario, next year, 1814, in two vessels. Chased by our squadron of ships, towards the lower end of the lake, he ordered the two vessels to be run on an island, and he and his men hid in the bushes, but had forgotten their arms! So they were all captured, major Muir and his two hundred men. Not a drop of blood was shed on either side.

It remains for us to say, that for so brilliant an action, congress with their characteristic alacrity on such occasions, have at the end of twenty three years, voted swords to the officers, Croghan, Hunter, Ship, &c., &c., &c. It is true that before the swords were given, all but Croghan and Hunter, were dead. Hunter, one of the bravest and most efficient captains ever in the regular army to which he belonged, was disbanded at the close of the war. .. - The ladies of Chillicothe, as soon as they heard of Croghan's gallant defence, voted him a sword. In Niles' Register of that time, the reader will find their address to Croghan, and his answer.

The enemy had now returned to Malden; our troops from the interior were pouring into Upper Sandusky. From Pickaway county Colonel James Renick with two hundred and fifty mounted volunteers, an advanced detachment came; seven hundred following them, from the same county. Harrison had called on governor Meigs for six months men, but hearing of the invasion of Ohio, a second time this year, Meigs called out the entire mass of militia for forty days. On the 4th of August, early in the morning, colonel Henry Brush of Chillico

the, delivered a letter from governor Meigs to general Harrison at Seneca, informing him of the arrival at Upper Sandusky, of the entire mass of militia, in the Scioto valley, and of vast numbers from all parts of the state; and that they now expected to be employed in active service or they would not be likely to obey another call. The General went to Upper Sandusky to confer with Meigs, and inform him of the orders of the war department, not to employ militia at all, if regulars could be procured, but if not, then only militia enough to make up the deficiency of seven thousand regulars. Two thousand men for six months, was all that Harrison felt authorised to employ from Ohio. These. Meigs selected, but for forty days only. That being done, Harrison was compelled to dismiss them as of no use, except to consume the provisions. Many of the militia officers thus necessarily dismissed, assembled and passed inflammatory resolutions against the General, for obeying his orders. The officers of the regular army answered them in the same way, by resolutions.

From the land, we now turn our attention' awhile, to our own sea, lake Erie. Lieutenants Perry and Elliot, had been ordered to lake Erie with several hundred sailors, early in the summer of 1812, and they were not idle. They had seized and captured at different times, several British vessels, and they had destroyed such vessels as they could not carry into our harbors. Ship carpenters had been busily engaged, in building vessels of war, at Erie in Pennsylvania. Several ships were fitted up, which had been employed, as merchant vessels, and severals others were built, expressly for warlike purposes. Finally, nine vessels were gotten ready for service, carrying, in all, fifty-four guns. General McArthur, had sent twentyfive active seamen, from fort Meigs, to join Perry's fleet. The war, on the ocean had driven these sailors from the Atlantic frontier; they had joined our army and now volunteered their services to Perry, and materially contributed to his success, as their naval commander cheerfully acknowledged. McArthar had taken possession of fort Moigs, general Clay being sick, had resigned the command temporarily to McArthur.

While Perry's fleet lay off the mouth of Sandusky bay, Harrison had furnished one hundred and fifty marines to Perry. The British fleet, under Commodore Barclay, consisted of six ships, carrying sixty-three guns.


! After various manoeuvres, these fleets, met and fought a battle, on lake Erie, within the territorial limits of Ohio, on the 10th day of September, 1813, at the head of the lake. The line of battle was formed, about eleven o'clock, in the forenoon, and fifteen minutes before twelve, the Queen Charlotte, the British Commodore's flag ship, opened a most tremendous fire, with grape and cannister shot, upon the Lawrence, the flag ship of commodore Perry. It was fifteen minutes, almost, before Perry could bring his guns to bear on the enemy. . At length, Perry got his guns to bear upon the Queen Char

the rest of things lotte, and making signals for the rest of his squadron to engage, he continued for two hours, to contend with two of the enemy's vessels; each of them, was equal to his own. During all this time, such was the wind that his other vessels could afford him no aid, so he fought, single handed and alone, against these two vessels of Barclay. By this time, the Lawrence, had become a perfect wreck, and all the men, on board this vessel, had been either killed, or wounded, except three or four individuals. Surrounded by ruin, by the dying and the dead, Perry, accompanied by his brother, and two or three others, left the Lawrence, in an open boat, and got on board the Niagara, his next best vessel. He brought her into action, running into the midst of the enemy's line, and very politely, poured a broadside, into each of the enemy's vessels, as he passed it; the Detroit, Queen Charlotte, and Lady Provost, on the one side, and the Chippeway, and Little Belt, on the other. He finally paid his addresses to the Lady Provost so warmly, that her Ladyship’s men, deserted her deck, and ran below. The remainder of Perry's squadron, next followed the example of their brave commander, and one and all got into

[ocr errors]

the action, and it become general, warm and animated. Within three hours of its commencement, this engagement, terminated, in favor of “free trade and sailors' rights." Perry writing, in the same style in which he fought, informed general Harrison, that, “ We have met the enemy, and they are ours." The victory was an entire one, Perry capturing all the ships of the enemy, and six hundred prisoners, which outnumbered our entire force, at the commencement of the action. He took also, six more cannons than he had, of his own. This was one of the best fought battles, recorded in history. Barclay fought bravely,' manfully and well, but Perry fought better, and succeeded, in capturing an entire squadron from the enemy.

The killed and wounded; in this battle, was great, on both sides; Barclay lost his only remaining arm, the other having been shot away, in the battle of the Nile. And he lost, two hundred killed and wounded, besides six hundred prisoners. Perry lost twenty seven killed, and ninety six wounded.

This most decisive victory, opened a passage into Canada, which Hỳll had so ingloriously surrendered.

The news of Perry's victory, reached Harrison, at Fort Meigs, at the Maumee rapids, and, after this event, every preparation was instantly made, to assail the enemy, in his own country. Perry's victory was achieved on the ever memorable, 10th of September 1813. As soon as possible, Perry made preparation, to convey Harrison, Shelby and their intrepid soldiers, to Malden. On the 28th of September, our troops were landed at the point below Malden, but Proctor, brave, when defenseless prisoners, were to be slain, robbed or ill treated, had fled, without firing a gun; he and his Indian allies. Proctor had fled up the river Thames, as fast as he could, and, had reached the Moravian village, where his army halted. Before he deserted Malden, he burnt the fortress, and public store

houses there. On the 29th, Harrison left Malden, entered, · and took possession of Detroit. On the 2nd of October Harri

son and Shelby, with thirty-five hundred selected soldiers, marched, from Detroit, in quest of Proctor. They followed him, up the Thames, eighty miles, to the Moravian village, where,

on the 5th of October, they found the enemy encamped. The American army was instantly formed in the order of battle, and the armies engaged with the utmost fury. The battle ended in the entire destruction of Proctor's army. But, as many readers may wish to know more of the particulars, we will recapitulate a few events, preceding as well as during this battle. On the 2nd day of October 1813, Harrison and Shelby at the head of more than three thousand men left Detroit, and after reaching, followed up the Thames. They halted for the first night, at the . end of twenty-six miles. Early the next morning, the army was in motion pressing forward until they fell in with a British guard, which Proctor had left behind him to destroy the bridges. This force was captured at once. On the next day, Harrison and his army were detained some time, by a deep creek, across which, the enemy had posted some Indians, after partly destroying the bridge. To repair this bridge, and to repel the enemy, Harrison ordered forward Major Ball with the artillery, and colonel Richard M. Johnson with his dragoons. These orders were instantly obeyed. The enemy was dislodged and driven off, with considerable loss, and the bridge, being repaired, the army moved forward again rapidly. Here, our army captured two thousand stands of arms, which they found in a magazine. Here too, the enemy had towed up such vessels as could ascend the river, and on the approach of our army, this flotilla was set on fire by the enemy. On the next day, October 5th, moving forward, our army took considerable public property from the enemy, on the spot where their flying foe, had encamped on the night preceding, Colonel Johnson's dragoons were ordered forward to reconnoiter the ground and find the enemy. Soon afterwards, Johnson returned to camp, having found the enemy drawn up in battle array. The British were drawn up on a strip of ground, narrow in front; their left resting on the river, and their right, resting on a morass, beyond which, in a thick forest of undergrowth, lay TECUMSEB and his savage warriors, more than two thousand strong. On this narrow strip, where the British were posted with their

« ZurückWeiter »