Imagens da página

successful. To me it appears just possible, that some of our young friends might feel a little reluctant in commencing the thing on their own responsibility for fear of being thought too forward. This might be remedied by a teacher or superintendent undertaking to assist the children of their respective schools,—first by explaining to them the object and necessity of the undertaking, and ! secondly by becoming their Secretary, and so provide them with cards, and set them to the good work at once. By so doing, you will greatly encourage them in their undertaking.

My dear children, the cause is a good one, do not fear, labour in good earnest, having a single eye to the glory of God, and success is certain. Believe me, very affectionately,

Pater. Birmingham, March 20th, 1857.



In the Manchester Third Circuit. The late Robert Thompson was born at Olfield-road, Salford, near Manchester, on the 1st Septenber, 1838. He was the son of pious parents, who took great pains to bring him up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord, neglecting no opportunity of instilling into his young mind the truths of the Bible.

When he was eighteen months old, the family came to reside at Patricroft. His father having been connected with the Wesleyan Association in Salford, and finding a little Society at Patricroft of the same denomination, he at once joined it, and also gave his labours to the Sabbathschool, bringing with him his numerous family, of whom Robert was one. He was placed in the alphabet-class, and from it was removed from quarter to quarter, as he made progress to the Bible-class. No fruit as yet appeared to attend the united labours of his parents and teachers, still they continued sowing the seed, trusting in the Lord for the increase.

Nothing very remarkable took place during the early part of his life. He was fearless and forward, generally acting as leader in all the acts of frolic and mischief he and his companions were guilty of, but always showing a kind and loving disposition to his associates, and especially to his parents, brothers and sisters. He was not addicted to open sins, such as swearing, lying, &c., though sometimes, when aggravated by his schoolfellows, he would give way to anger, and use words not becoming, About the age of fourteen, his mind was affected with religious impressions, and when at play, he would often talk to his companions (who like himself were blest with pious parents,) about his wicked conduct, and the advice and admonitions of his parents, resolving at the time to leave off his wicked practices and give his heart to God. These resolutions were like the morning cloud and early dew, they soon vanished away.

In the month of April 1853, the writer was appointed teacher to the adult class, in which Robert was a scholar. The class had had several teachers, but none of them could get the ruling power, they had all been driven away by the bad conduct of the scholars. They had often been threatened, but threatenings were of no effect, they were often persuaded, but persuasions were of no avail. The teacher, undaunted by the discouragements he met with, endeavoured to gain their attention by unceasing labour and kindness. He brought to bear all the means that lay in his power, praying that the Lord would crown his labours with success; and at length the Lord answered his prayers, and gave him the desire of his heart by crowning his endeavours with abundant success, for by the all-subduing and softening influence of the Holy Spirit, Robert and his companions were brought to see and feel themselves as sinners. About the Autumn of 1854, the Lord visited the Society with a gracious revival of religion ; believers were quickened, and sinners converted from the error of their ways. As was usual, a prayer-meeting was held after each Sunday evening service. To one of these meetings Robert was invited, but the enemy whispered 'there's time enough yet," he gave way and went home. His mother knowing he was gone, left the meeting and followed him, and found him in the garden ; she asked him the reason he had not stayed to the prayer-meeting? He excused himself by saying he did not feel very well! she told him she had left his companions at the penitents' form, crying for mercy, and that he ought to have stopped with them: to this he made no reply. His mother said, Robert! there is the same God here, as at the chapel, and He is willing to pardon you now as if you were there. ! She proposed prayer, to which he consented, and while ! she was pleading, the Spirit was given, and he began to pray the publican's prayer,

“God be merciful to me a sinner.” On the Sunday following, he was invited to Brother Smith's class, of which he became a member, still continuing to seek the forgiveness of sins. His convictions were such that his body as well as his mind was affected, and medical aid had to be called in. In this distressed condition he remained for five weeks. On the Sunday evening following, he told one of his companions he did not intend going home, until he found pardon ; his cry was, “Lord, save me. I believe Thou canst. Thy blood can make the foulest clean. Thy blood avails for me ;" and by faith in the merits of Christ's blood, he was enabled to rejoice with joy unspeakable, and full of glory. From this time he ran his race without being weary, and walked in the good old way without fainting. On one occasion

[ocr errors]

his feet had well nigh slipped, for near a week he suffered much through manifold temptations. While relating his experience at the class the following Sunday, he said, (the tears rolling down his cheeks at the time,) “I had very near lost my religion this last week, but thank God while in my distress, those lines of the poet came to my mind

He breaks the power of cancell'd sin,

He sets the prisoner free;
His blood can make the foulest clean,

His blood avails for me. That moment the cloud was dispelled, and I could again rejoice."

He was regular in his attendance on the means of grace, and always took an active part in them. The salvation of souls lay near his heart, and it may truly be said of him, that he travailed in birth for souls. The symptoms of declining health were perceived about three

years since.

On Sunday, April 13th, 1856, he was taken much worse, and from this time, little hopes of his recovery were indulged in by his most intimate friends. Having once visited Holyhead in north Wales, and received benefit from it, he felt a desire to go again, he did so, but found the air too strong for him, and returned home much worse than when he left. After his return, his leader visited him, and gave him his last quarterly ticket; and in answer to the enquiry about his soul, he said, “I am trusting in the bleeding Lamb. His blood was shed for me.” He was faithful to all who visited him, exhorting them to meet him in heaven, and pointing them to the Lamb of God as the only Saviour. His resignation to the Divine will, his patience and meekness, his thankfulness and kindness, were apparent to all. Every passion appeared to be extinguished but love. He was a Christian of genuine simplicity and exemplary piety. His religion was that of the heart, sincere and truly spiritual. The promises of God afforded him confort, support, and encouragement while drawing near the confines of the grave;

[ocr errors]

such expressions as the following he often repeated, “ Heaven is my home," "My Lord, and my God,” “The Lord is good.” A few days before he died, his father sail to him, “I would fain keep thee, but I see the Lord wilis it to be otherwise.” He said, “O father, pray that the Lord's will may be done.” On the morning he died, he wished to get up, he did so, took his breakfast as usual, and then he requested to lie down again, his mother lifted him into bed; he thanked God for so good and kind a mother, and for His goodness towards him. Only a few minutes after, he was seized with a violent fit of coughing,

a which caused the rupture of a blood vessel, and in five minutes after, his happy spirit took its flight to the regions of eternal bliss, there to be for ever with the Lord. So lived and died Robert Thompson, aged eighteen years. On Sunday, September 1856, his death was improved in a Sermon, preached by the Rev. J. M. G. Faull, from Numbers xxiii. and the latter part of the 10th verse, to a large and attentive congregation.

JACOB SMITH. Patricroft, March 24th, 1857.


The subject of this memoir was the daughter of Eli and Hannah Heap. She was born in Burnley, September 10, 1835. When little more than six years old, she was bereaved of her best earthly friend, for it pleased Almighty God 'with whom are the issues of life and of death,' to remove her dear Mother, ‘from this world,' to that 'country from whose bourne no traveller returns.'

After this mournful event, she began to attend St. Peter's Sunday-school, where for regular attendance and good behaviour she got a Bible. Soon after this the family removed to Armriding in Uxton, and while there, she attended the Wesleyan Sunday-school. In two years however they returned to Burnley and she began to attend the Wesleyan Methodist Association Sunday-school, where

« AnteriorContinuar »