Abbildungen der Seite

cities of Germany, and the establishment of the German Empire, made him nearly as well known and as highly respected in Germany as he was in Michigan. He rendered valuable service to the United States during the trying period of the civil war in maintaining the financial credit and placing the bank of the United States at Frankfort-one of the great centers of wealth in Europe—and during the Prussian war his position as United States consul general enabled him to render great service and to afford protection to many of the citizens of the city of Frankfort, which greatly endeared him to them, and which were subsequently publicly recognized and acknowledged.


Died of pneumonia at Hamburg, Prussia, on Tuesday, June 8, 1886. W. W. Murphy, aged 70 years.

Mr. Murphy was born in Ernestown, Canada West, April 3, 1816, removing to Seneca county, N. Y., at an early age. He came to Monroe, Michigan, in 1835, where he entered the United States land office as clerk. While there he began the study of law, and in the fall of 1837 removed to Jonesville, forming a partnership with William T. Howell and opening the first law office in Hillsdale county. He practiced law here until 1861, from 1848 being associated with Hon. W. J. Baxter. He served one term as prosecutor of this county, and in 1844 he was elected representative in the Michigan legislature.

In 1861 he was appointed by President Lincoln to the position of consul general at Frankfort-on-the-Main, which position he held for nine years, and has since resided there the greater portion of the time, acting as the financial representative of several American railroad companies. The first bonds of the United States placed at Frankfort were sold through his influence.

He was a partner in the Exchange Bank of Grosvenor & Co., and in company of one or two others was the founder of this paper, it first being published by W. W. Murphy & Co., under the name of The Jonesville Telegraph. Since then he has always manifested a warm interest in the Independent, subscribing and paying for five or six copies every year, and in many ways manifesting his interest and good will.

He was one of the members of Grace Episcopal church, this place, at the time of its organization in 1838, was one of the first vestrymen, and has been a vestryman of that church for 39 years, and during 13 years of this time served as warden. He regularly contributed to the support of the church from the time of its organization to the day of his death.

For many years prior to the war Mr. Murphy was an active, prominent anti-slavery man, aiding at all times the slaves in their efforts to escape from

bondage with counsel and with money, volunteering his services as a lawyer whenever occasion required. He was formerly a democrat but joined the free soil party in 1848, and the republican party at its formation. He was prominent in county and state politics, and never failed to attend a political convention when it was possible for him to do so.

In 1849 he was married to Ellen Beaumont, of Monroe, who survives him.

The news of Mr. Murphy's death is no surprise to his many friends. For many years he has been in failing health, and lately private advices have been very discouraging. He has long been afflicted with a bronchial affection which was undoubtedly the cause of his death.

Mr. Murphy, or as he was better known, “Walt," was a man of unusual kindness of heart and disposition. He was constantly doing acts of kindness to the poor and those in trouble, which acts were never divulged by himself. Although absent from Jonesville since 1861 and undoubtedly having formed new and strong ties in his German home, he always wanted to be counted in all charitable matters here, and was ever ready to respond to a proper demand. He was widely known throughout the state, everybody liked him, and we believe of him can it be truly said he leaves not a single enemy.[Jonesville Independent.]


Died at his home in Jonesville, on Saturday, June 5, 1886, Samuel S. Baker, aged 83 years, one month and fourteen days.

The deceased was born at Palmira, Trumble county, Ohio, April 21, 1803. At the age of 10 years he moved with his parents to Groveling, Livingston county, N. Y. Was married at the age of 22 years to Rachel Putney by whom he has had 12 children, but two of whom survive him. He came to Jonesville in 1840, and has since been a respected citizen of the place. He was a man of strong convictions, conscientious and high sentiment for humanity. His aged wife (also 83 years old) and two children, Mrs. T. Harding and Geo. W. Baker survive him.


In Jonesville, at his residence, Wednesday morning, June 9th, 1886, John T. Blois, aged 76 years.

Mr. Blois was born in New Haven, Connecticut, in September, 1809, and resided in that state until 1833, when he made a change of residence in the hope of benefiting his health, which was then poor. He entered the popular military academy at Middletown, Conn., in 1826, and graduated in a course of civil engineering. This was at the time when there was but one railroad in the United States, a tram railway at Quincy, Mass. He was at the academy three years, but his health being unequal to the rough life of a civil engineer, he continued his classical studies with Rev. Luther Hart, of Plymouth, Conn. In 1832 he entered the law office of Geo. N. Briggs, of Lanesborough, Mass., who was then a representative in Congress, and was afterwards governor of Massachusetts. From here he went to Lenox in Berkshire Co., continuing his law studies, and having as a fellow student the Hon. David Davis, of Ill.

He resided for a short time in South Carolina, Tennessee and Ohio, coming to Michigan in 1836.

He first located in Detroit. Here he taught in the Detroit Academy and collected memoranda for a statistical, topographical and political history of the state and territory of Michigan, which he afterwards published under the patronage of the state legislature as a Gazetteer of the state of Michigan. While preparing this work for the press he found the archives barren and it was only owing to memoranda furnished by him to the secretary of state that enabled the governor to negotiate what was then called the $5,000,000 loan, for internal inprovement purposes.

He came to Jonesville, which place has since been his home, in 1839, and in connection with Salem T. King opened the second law office in this village, the firm being King & Blois.

In 1840 he was elected register of deeds for this county, serving two years, and was circuit court commissioner for eight years. He was elected one of the justices of the peace for Fayette township in 1840 and served until 1844, was again elected in 1865, and has filled that position continuously sincetwenty one years. He was for a number of years engaged in the nursery business here, finally relinquishing it on account of ill health.

Mr. Blois was a scientist and a man of high literary attainments. He was married and raised his family of three children here. Edwin T. of Chicago, Miss Ida and W. S. of this place survive him.



June 16, 1886.--Mrs. Louise L. Woodworth, aged 30 years. She had been a resident of Lansing 31 years.

June 21, 1886.-Henry Eckstein, aged 33 years. He was born in this country of German parents, and came with them to Lansing when a few months old.

August 9, 1886.-Henderson Crawford, of Lansing, died at Traverse City, aged 68 years, and was buried at Lansing. He was a member of the State Pioneer Society.

March 14, 1887.-Andrew Silverhorn, aged 54 years. He was a native of Bavaria, Germany, came to this country when 18 years of age, to Lenawee county soon after, and to Lansing in 1874. He enlisted with the First Michigan Engineers, and was sergeant in his company. March 29, 1887.—Eugene Newbro of Lansing, aged 64 years.

March 31, 1887.-Mrs. Mary A. Sanford, wife of Col. Geo. P. Sanford, aged 48 years.

April 4, 1887.-Elihu Peck, of Lansing, aged 61 years.

May 11, 1887.-Smith J. Tooker, aged 68 years. He came to Lansing immediately after the location of the capital. He brought his wife with him, and she is said to be the first white woman to make a residence in the city.

May 16, 1887.-Wm. H. Hunter, aged 60 years. He had been a resident of Lansing over 30 years.

May—. 1887.-Mrs. Elizabeth Cole, of Lansing, aged 84 years. She came to Michigan twentytwo years ago from New York state.

James M. Williams died in Williamston, Saturday, Sept. 18, 1886, aged 70 years.

James M. Williams, familiarly known as“ Miles," came to this place in company with his two brothers, 0. B. and H. B., and settled near the spot occupied by the present homestead, from Batavia, New York, in 1839. In 1840 they built the first dam and saw mill in this section. In 1842 they built the first grist mill, known as the Red Cedar Mill, which is still standing, a small part of the present Williamston Mills. It contained one run of stone, which were hauled from Detroit by oxen, a part of the way on wagons and the rest on sleds, the roads not permitting heavily loaded wagons. It was however a great convenience to a large extent of territory. He was our first postmaster, receiving his appointment in 1842, which he held till 1850.

In 1843, at the organization of the township, he was elected its first supervisor, which position he also filled in 1844-5-6-7, ’66 and 74. He was also township treasurer on two or three different occasions.

In 1846 he mined the first coal in this region which was used for blacksmithing.

In 1871, at the organization of the village, he was elected its first president, which position he also held in 1873-4-5. He was almost continually a member of the school board and much of its success is due to his efforts.

He accumulated a fine property, reared a family of seven children, six of whom survive him and who are useful citizens and an honor to him and his memory.

He was firm in his convictions, strong in his likes and dislikes, and naturally made some enemies and many friends, but all will unite in this, that he lived an honorable and useful life. He was the possessor of a very retentive memory and could tell the "why, where and by whom” of every transaction of importance in the history of the whole community with unerring accuracy. – [Williamston Enterprise, Sept, 22, 1886. .


Elijah Woodworth died at the home of his grandson, in Wheatfield, Thursday, Dec. 23, 1886, aged 94 years.

To the many who have known this pioneer all their lives this news will not be surprising. He came to Leslie in 1835, and built the first house of the town, and soon afterward put up the first saw mill. For several years he teamed between Ann Arbor and Leslie, fording streams wherever there was one. He practiced some as a physician, but did not like the profession. Once he preached the Presbyterian faith, after which he published some of his works on the Old and New Testament. In 1884 he wrote a poem dedicated to the State Pioneer Society, which was published in the Local, since which time he has been confined to the house most of the time. In the winter of '83-4 he ordered his own tombstone, aud wrote the inscription which reads as follows: "In memory of Elijah Woodworth, born 1792, who now resides in spirit life, a real personal being in progression eternally, served in the war of 1812. A sectarian minister, an atheist lecturer up to 1852, first resident of Leslie, Ingham county. A surveyor and Thompsonian doctor, the first itinerant lecturer in the field of modern spiritualism, and controlled to write ancient languages in the form of hieroglyphical characters. A modern seer and sage in natural and spiritual civilization, whose sunlight shall never close. Vilely persecuted by bigots, although living in temperance and good morality. Who filled a mortal body with vigorous health and memory nearly one century, traveling in seven states of the union.” He drew a pension of $8 a month for his services in the Mexican war. His last request was that he be buried in Leslie but without any ceremony whatever, and designating his pall bearers. Mr. Woodworth made his home for years with his son, Solomon, and after his death he lived with his granddaughter, where he died. He has a daughter living somewhere in Ohio or Indiana. Although he entertained ideas that seemed strange to others, he was a candid, honest gentleman, and his regular chats with his many friends were a ray of

« ZurückWeiter »